Monday 23 September 2013

Vietnam - hate at first sight but ... with the happy ending. Part 2 - The South.


*The US dollars are commonly used in Vietnam as well as Vietnamese Dong and some places even prefer US Dollars than their own currency.

North and South Vietnam are two very distinctive regions in Vietnam. Although most of the time being one country, they grew separately along the history. The Northern, older part of Vietnam was where the culture originated, but with time people spread all the way down South to the Mekong Delta. Since early 1600' till 1975 the country was divided into two regions and ruled by two different families, later on having two different governments. The most recent influence on the unique shape of the culture in the South and the North is the support and presence of Soviet Union and China during and after the Vietnam war in the North and United States in the South. Although Vietnam is officially one country since 1975, the differences including language, mindset and culture are clearly visible when visiting and comparing the two regions.

Upon arriving to Ho Chi Minh airport, the first difference was English speaking airport staff. Then the shuttle  bus to the hotel which is only US$0.5 instead US$2 in Hanoi although similar time spend in it, and the city... passing the center of it in the shuttle, it looked very close to like New York City looks in my imagination (if only replacing motorbikes with yellow cabs) - big, lively and flashing adverts lights everywhere. You can definitely feel the influence of Americans. The hotel turned out to be very cosy and right in the city center (but in a back allay so its not laud at all) and the drinks in the hotel fridge cost only a fraction comparing to the ones in Hanoi hotel. I already knew I love this city and I just couldn't believe I'm still in the same country. That night I only went for a quick dinner which turned up to be a surprising one and went back to the hotel to rest.

My dinner that night
 But I had lots of other choices:



My few days on my own also turned out to be very beautifully adventurous. The next morning I met a New Zealand guy in a hostel reception who I asked if he would like to join me in my city sightseeing (as I was still scared it will be the same as in Hanoi where I was glad I had a man next to me) and he could not be more happy to join me as he had nothing really to do and also was alone traveller. We spend together one day and even went shopping as his Vietnamese girlfriend invited him to her friends wedding to which he was going next morning having nothing smart to wear.

Photos from Ho Chi Minh City from that day:







Food stand with local favourites

We tried a cake with an egg yolk ... not sweet not sour, just taste like raw egg, I decided not to risk salmonella...

And  real coconut jelly, I suspect they just add some gelatine to a real coconut juice - pretty tasty

Later on we went for a beer to local bars and e met 3 lovely Vietnamese girls who helped us in translating local drink menu. We had awesome evening and even more promising seemed the next day as one of the girls offered to take me to a real food place where Vietnamese eat and show me a little bit of Ho Chi Minh from the local point of view.

The Kiwi guy Hayden and the girls, Khanh, Jessica and Huong

  One of the local beer (Ho Chi Minh City is commonly called Saigon)

  And interior of one of the many restaurants/bars on the streets (that usually is also a house of the owners)

I met with Huong and her brother Huy next day for a promised dinner (unfortunately I didn't make any pictures) and after the meal, they took me for some local desserts. One of the desserts in the tall glasses was a coconut milk mixed with coconut juice with different shapes and colours of jellies and beans in it (yes, the beans like kidney beans or Hainz beans but served sweet) and another looked and tasted like a sweet iced tea served with sweet muschroom-like things in it. Very hmm interesting.




That day while waiting for Huong, I met a lovely couple (English guy and American girl) who joined us in the bars later on. All three of us were so happy and felt so lucky that we have a chance to speak to a lovely locals (Huong's brother is only 15 (!) and wanted to practice his english, and its apparently normal for them to drink few beers in that young age). We decided to meet the next day again and Huong offered to take us for some traditional Vietnamese pancakes. I have to say it was DELICIOUS! And such a simple idea as well, and the huge baskets with greens in the middle of the table were a nice change from usually lacking leafy salads meals.

Delicious fresh spring rolls
  Pancakes itself


  And a bit of the kitchen where they make it

After the meal we went for a few drinks and even met a celebrity: Vietnamese stand up comedian with whom Huy (Huong brother) managed to have a photo with:


Jenifer, Adam, me, Huong and Huy

Later on that night we also had a chance to try such a wonderful snack (seriously, just amazing) grilled octopus and some chicken legs (which I didn't eat) but the real hit was the dip which came with it, that was made of green chillies, coconut milk and salt.



That's the end of my time for myself for now as Darwin is joining me tonight, but I can't wait to introduce Darwin to the guys I met over last few days and take him to these food places I would never even know existed if not Huong :)

PS. Huong told me that we were not the only ones ripped off in the North, she says that even when they go to Hanoi, locals over there hear their accent and know they are not from this part of Vietnam and triple the prices for them too. So nasty - North, I will never be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...