Thursday 3 October 2013

Angkor Whaaat? Angkor Wat.

First of all, while writing this post I am having an 'air con flu'. For some reason it is quite common for me to get sore throat which later becomes a full size flu after spending some time in air conditioned hostel rooms with this cold, very dry and unfortunately often dirty air. It started in Phnom Penh where we had what it looked like a brand new air con (and because of it it was very strong) and developed over last few days because of very old, yellow from dirt and leaking air con in Siem Reap. After a visit to the pharmacy and getting day&night flu tablets (carefully checking ingredients list before taking one) I feel much better.

Our main point of visit in Siem Reap was the famous Angkor Wat.

 
 'Angkor Wat is a Hindu, then subsequently Buddhist temple complex in Cambodia and the largest religious monument in the world'

There are several ways of getting to this complex, most popular include tuk tuk or taxi as it is located 14km away from the city and complex itself is gigantic. We however thought it will be much more fun (and cheaper) if we hire bikes instead. And that's what we did and the whole trip became one of my favourite days in travelling so far. Although the entrance fee was $20/day (and it is not easy at all to see it in one day) We definitely were not disappointed by this massive and magical place. I could live there!

PS. I wish I could say that above picture is my production, however after coming back to the hostel and checking my photos I realised that this shot wasn't the only one that I missed. I have been in Angkor Wat from 9am till around 4 pm, and got so overwhelmed by it, and it is so much to see I didn't even realize I missed few important/iconic temples (and pictures) on the way.

This is what I saw (the same temple as above, only from different angle)


Still together on our bikes




Inside the temple






Not uncommon view - the whole family working together












Angkor Wat from behind

Traditional Cambodian outfit


Despite all the amazing temples, my favourite were monkeys anyway!







One of many many Buddhas in the complex

Woopseee! Darwin was unlucky and from then on we separated - I decided to continue by myself (as I paid for a whole day sightseeing) and Darwin went to town to fix the tire and came back to see the rest of Angkor Wat that evening and the next day too







And there is my favourite temple: for this one alone was worth coming!




Looks familiar? Angelina Joli (Lara Croft) was fighting in here in Tomb Rider







 


This kid was just sitting there and painting very good quality pictures.

I came back to the hostel exhausted and sunburned in some places where I didn't reach with the sunscreen. For us this was pretty much the last accent of Cambodia and last time spend travelling together as couple of days later Darwin left to Laos and I headed back to Bangkok to drive down towards Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...